April 2020
Wed
29
- On the 25th I took bio pellets off of the tank. The flow was too weak to circulate properly even when I attached a dedicated pump. I'm not going to buy another pump to make this work.
- I went back to dosing NoPox daily (6ml).
- I did 20% water change and almost killed the tank! I mixed fresh saltwater and didn't check the salinity. It was 60ppt! The tank went into shock...I immediately removed 5gal of saltwater and replaced it with 5ga of RO/DI. Brought the salinity down from 50 to 45.
- On the 26th I replaced another 5ga with RO/DI and brought salinity down to 40ppt.
- on the 28th I replaced 1ga with RO/DI and salinity now at 35.9. I'll do another .5ga on the 30th in an attempt to bring down to @ 34-35ppt.
- I started treating the tank with Vibrant for Reef Tank. 6ml once per week. I Will dose every Tuesday.
- The tank looks to be recovering, but I still think I lost the majority of the SPS's...covered with red slime algae. Chemi-pure didn't seem to do too much, so that's why I'm using Vibrant long term...with some patience.
Sat
25
Measured Nitrate at 40 ppm
Measured Phosphate at 0.90 ppm
Measured Calcium at 513 ppm
Measured Alkalinity at 9.7 dKH
Measured Temperature at 77.2 F
Measured Salinity at 33.5 ppt
Sun
19
- Today I changed pad from fabric to Aquamesh #4.
- I need to raise salinity from 33.3 to 35. Substituted r/o ATO to 40ppm fresh saltwater.
Sat
18
Measured Salinity at 33.2 ppt
Hanna
Measured Temperature at 76.9 F
- No activity on the Biopellet reactor. NYOS reads lower, but Red Sea continues to show 50+ nitrates. So I began Microbak7 dosing today, 12 ML per day per instructions. I'll see if this gets things started.
- I added more water and adjusted the drain to the proper level.
- Added UV to this tank to prevent algae bloom which it's going through now.
- Started new light schedule 4/17. Tank looks much better.
- SPS coral aren't looking good due to algae growing all over them. I have to get control over this or it will be another $200 down the drain from coral frags not surviving. Not all of them are gone, but the Acros are certainly deteriorating quickly!
Measured Nitrate at 35 ppm
NYOS
Sun
12
I did my measuring and maintenance this weekend in an attempt to get better at husbandry. I've spent SOOOO much money on this even the my wife had to finally bring to my attention the amount of money being spent on this. However, I've had aquariums for 50 years. These reef tanks are expensive, but in this journey with this tank and the Big Tank, being cheap only requires more money to fix what I should have brought in their first place.

The Biopellets are doing nothing yet. I switched to the NYOS Nitrate test kit since watching the BRS video and seeing that it is better detecting high ranges of nitrate which my tanks qualify under. The reading for the NYOS for this tank is @ 50!
Measured Nitrate at 53 ppm
NYOS Test Kit
Sat
11
Measured ORP at 342 mV
Measured pH at 8.12 pH
Measured Calcium at 488 ppm
Measured Alkalinity at 10.2 dKH
Measured Phosphate at 0.10 ppm
Measured Nitrate at 128 ppm
Measured Temperature at 76.7 F
Measured Salinity at 34 ppt
Fri
10