April 2014
Tue
29
Measured Nitrate at 40 ppm
Blew off debris, cleaned filters and biowheels
Measured Temperature at 77 F
20% Water Change
Mon
28
Measured Nitrate at 80 ppm
Measured Salinity at 1.023 SG
Measured Temperature at 77 F
Measured Phosphate at 0.25 ppm
Sun
27
I was advised to point my power head down towards the live rock, which I did. Allot of debris came off of the rock and is being filtered out. He said pointing the power head at the live rock will cause the bacteria to grow quicker. Will also flow more water through the rock to clean everything up. Diatoms still spreading. Copepods have vanished. Still some algae grazing flatorks on the glass but not many. Allot of dead copepods were on the rocks got blown off by the power head. I may change a filter tomorrow or rinse it off.
Fri
25
Measured Nitrite at 0.00 ppm
Measured pH at 8.0 pH
Measured Ammonia at 0.00 ppm
Measured Nitrate at 160 ppm
I did a 20% water change and siphoned the substrate. I also moved the filter intake upward in the tank to a little over midway. There's diatom growth on half the rocks and not any on the other half. I'll check nitrates here in an hour or so to see if the nitrates came down any. I'm also changing the filter media every 2 weeks.
Measured Salinity at 1.023 SG
Measured Temperature at 78.7 F
Changed 7 Gallons of water
  23.3%
Thu
24
Changed Filter (Right Side)
Mon
21
Measured Temperature at 78 F
Measured Nitrate at 160 ppm
Can't seem to get these nitrates under control
I started the tank on 3/21/14 I believe and today marks the one month anniversary. Today when I got home from work, behold. Diatoms are beginning to grow in there. They are on a few of my rocks and a couple small spots in the crushed coral. I did about a 30% water change and nitrates are still really high, but it does look like they have come down maybe a hair.. and I'm being optimistic there...
Measured Salinity at 1.024 SG
Changed 8 Gallons of water
  26.7%
Fri
18
Measured Temperature at 78 F
Raised temp a bit